1 August 2006

Black-tailed Godwits at Brandon

My good run of late summer birding continued tonight, with 10 Black-tailed Godwits circling above me at Brandon Marsh.

These large waders are easily identified in the air by their long, straight bills and wide white wing bars. They had evidently been feeding on East Marsh Pool for much of the day, and were leaving as I arrived.




Along with the 'Blackwits' I found eight Green Sandpipers (one pictured top left), a Kingfisher, a Barnacle Goose (pictured above bottom, an irregular visitor to Brandon, almost certainly an escapee rather than a true wild bird), Great Spotted and Green Woodpeckers, and plenty of Lapwing and Grey Herons (above right) among the other regulars.

I also gave my new scope, an Opticron Mighty Midget ED, a good run out. Small enough to fit in my pocket, but with a clear wide 18x magnification, it is the perfect lightweight bit of birding kit. It also allows me to take snapshots without lugging loads of camera gear around - just a little Contax pocket camera held up to the eyepiece. Given the poor light, I'm very pleased with the efforts above. Posted by Picasa

No comments: