2 October 2006

Back to Warwickshire

I came back from holiday to discover an Osprey had been frequenting Brandon Marsh. These are lovely birds which I've only previously seen at Rutland Reservoir (they have an amazing reintroduction programme - see details here).

Of course I headed to Brandon as soon as I was able, but sadly it was not to be - I was there in the morning, and the Osprey decided to give it a miss until the afternoon. Blast. Still, it was nice to be back on local ground with a distinct autumn / winter feel to the birding.

An obliging Kingisher sat just in front of me for 10 minutes or more, and elsewhere there were 300 or more Lapwing, Teal and Shovellers, Green and Great Spotted Woodpecker, and a Green Sandpiper at Carlton hide.

2 comments:

Old Buzzard said...

Well I don't feel so bad about missing the Osprey myself now - I was at Brandon on Sunday afternon - it was there in the morning! At least I missed the rain and enjoyed the Kingfisher.

Hornet said...

I can't believe I haven't seen a bird that's been around that long! And since I'm at Minsmere this coming weekend, I think I'm probably going to miss it altogether.

Glad you got the Kingfisher though - they're being very obliging at the moment. I wonder if it is the first-winter birds that are simply less wary than their parents?